Monday, September 8, 2014

Start of Europe 2014 Trip

What a day. We started out at 0800 Saturday morning, and have been up for about 28 hours. The flight out of Orlando was fine, but the weather caused us to be delayed in Philadelphia. The pilot shut down one of the engines twice as we waited for clearance.


The flight was pretty bad. I tweaked either a tendon or ligament in my leg trying to get in my seat. (As of writing this, I can move forward ok, but any lateral movement feels like my leg is going to give out). I actually felt like I had enough leg room, there just was no way to sleep in those uncomfortable seats. The only good part about not sleeping is I saw the aurora borealis in the northern sky. Tried to take a picture, but it didn't come out.

Finally got into Munich at 0850 Sunday. It was a little tricky finding the train that goes into the main train station in Munich. They didn't have very good signage. We validated our Eurail train passes then down the escalator to the train. The ride took longer than I thought. I think it said 41min trip time. I didn't think the airport was that far away.

Once at the Munich Hauptbahnhof we had about 30 min to catch our train to Fussen. Another 3hours and we were at our first destination.



As always when you buy the Eurail train pass, you get 1st class tickets. The 1st class seats can be in any car, you just have to look at the billboards on the train platform and look for the cars with a number "1". Some of the larger long haul trains have dining cars. this one did not, but we had tables to eat the food we bought in the train station.

I snapped this picture while the train was racing down the tracks.
Travel Tip:
When getting off the plane and making your way to the train to get to the main city, make sure you validate your rail pass at the train information desk. Also, the info desk can print out an itinerary for you so you know what stops to to change trains.


No comments:

Post a Comment